Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Mel's Back

I love how we're all on a first-name basis with Mel Zelaya here.

Throughout the day yesterday, the principal's assistant kept coming to my class to pull my students to go home. It wasn't until the third or fourth kid left that I asked him what was going on. He explained Mel had re-entered the country and parents were concerned that roads might be closed later in the day.

As it turns out, they were right. Tegus is now under 26 hours of house lockdown (as of 4 pm yesterday), and school is canceled again. (My kids who didn't do their homework over our last break got super lucky with this additional unexpected extra time off!)

I've had a few really, really good conversations with Honduran friends about the political history of the country and its current situation. Then as I was reading the news last night, I found one friend (the leader of our Bible study) quoted on BBC!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8267775.stm

For the record, I think the article is a little pro-Mel. It doesn't represent my opinion of the situation; I'm just sharing that my friend was quoted in the international news. :o) Due to my association with IST, I can't really discuss politics out of concern for my students and their intensely politically involved families. Just know my roommate and I are safe enough in our warm and bug-friendly home, writing lesson plans and watching Gilmore Girls. (At this point, I'm seriously considering drinking vinegar to keep the mosquitoes away...)

1 comment:

kristin said...

Ooooh! Vinegar! Good idea.