Saturday, August 29, 2009

"You're a Good Miss"

Week One went well, but man was it exhausting. I love my kids and feel like I've got a pretty good read on most of them (except for the two who are still on summer vacation...), but they need a lot of extra help. We had a lesson on subjects and predicates, and though the kids could lead me through the examples orally, they all totally bombed the independent practice. I retaught the lesson the next day, which was really good because now they're subject-predicate-professionals, but now we're behind in social studies. It's the same with math: as I teach and we discuss place values, they can give me the correct answers, but with the independent practice they really struggle a lot. I'm frustrated because I feel like it's my fault for not being able to explain the concepts adequately or assess my students appropriately.

The saving grace, though, came on Wednesday when one of my students who has a hard time communicating in English (and also happens to be the tiniest fifth grader ever) gave me an ENORMOUS bear hug, turned his little face up to me and said very sincerely, "You're a good Miss." (My Costa Ricans called me "Teacher," my Hondurans call me "Miss"...I just don't know how to refer to myself in the third person anymore.) Miguel's comment really meant a lot because I haven't been trying to be their friend as much as I've been demanding their obedience and respect. But let's be honest: I have a very expressive face and I tease my kids to provoke their participation, and I'm pretty sure they enjoy it.

Thursday night a group of us took an aerobic Latin dance class and I love it SO so much. Leslie, Michelle, and I plan on going regularly. The instructor is an INCREDIBLE dancer and actually sort of dance-challenged me a handful of times, which was pretty flattering, but I just laughed and tried not to encourage anything. I'm telling you, these Latins have some crazy moves. Like, Beyoncé-status crazy.

I also got a cell phone. It works with a phone card, so there's no set monthly fee, and ALL incoming calls (even international) are FREEEEE!!!!! So call me: 011-504-9500-6772.

1 comment:

Speech is a mouth. said...

Sage---

I finally got around to reading your blog and this makes me so happy. I'm happy you are getting along with the kids and of course you are a good teacher and of course they would love you. Yay! I'm so happy for you!!

-Sarah