Monday, October 26, 2009

Lago de Yojoa

To celebrate the end of the first partial (quarter), a bunch of us went to Lago de Yojoa to relax. For me it was a beautiful weekend of spiritual reflection and study. I intentionally left my reading books at home to encourage myself to seek my quiet time with Jesus, and it felt amazing to rest in Him.

We also hiked under a GIANT waterfall, and it was probably one of the most intense water-related experiences I've ever had. And that's saying something. The waterfalls were pounding so hard over us we had to wear t-shirts over our bathing suits to keep them on and hold hands in a line to stay together. It was CRAZY and such a thrill. We did a little cliff jumping while we were there, too, but that was nothing compare to the falls.

Three friends and I decided to extend our trip another night and went to a hostel nearby. We read and played cards and told stories and got to know each other better. I live for this stuff.

Before I say anything further, let me clarify that hitch-hiking is a very acceptable, common, and safe means of transportation in Honduras. Any guide book will testify to that. That said...we hitched home. Maybe a hundred, hundred-fifty miles. The road home is the same highway the whole way. We hopped in the bed of trucks and hopped out when the trucks stopped. It took us 3 trucks to get the whole way, and we only had to wait about 20 minutes at the longest between rides.

Personally, I'd take riding in the open air of the back of a truck over a bus any day.

No comments: