Saturday, October 17, 2009

Accidents and Providence

Today (Saturday) we had school to make up for some of our missed school. Two of my closest friends and I decided to go out for a movie and sushi to celebrate our survival of the Week That Would Not End. I figured I wouldn't need to bring my cell phone because I was with these two and anyone else who might call could leave a message. Besides, one of my friends had her phone, so we wouldn't need both hers and mine. (We try to roll without purses as much as possible.) We invited another friend, but he opted out.

On the taxi ride to the movie we got into a minor accident. We hit the car in front of us at maybe 45 mph. It was pretty bizarre because we all realized we were about to hit, and then a split second later I thought "Ooh, this is going to be bad..." I turned my face into my friend and began to burrow/hide when we crashed into/under the car in front of us. We heard the windshield shatter and then fumes started filling the car.

We all got out fine and some very sweet, concerned Hondurans on the side of the road were asking us if we were ok. We all got little bumps and bruises and I messed my thumb up somehow, but nothing serious.

There was so much that evidenced God's protection and sovereignty over this situation. Firstly, we had no seatbelts to be wearing. I was in the middle backseat and, according to Newton's First Law of Motion (inertia--I just taught a unit about it), I should have been thrown forward. But I wasn't. Also, none of us were in the front passenger seat. If our friend has joined us, he would have sat up front and could have seriously injured his long legs against the dashboard. (Not to mention the lack of an airbag.) There was also no car that crashed into us from behind, and given our speed, we all walked away in good shape.

Here's the best part: As we were collecting ourselves on the side of the road, an IST employee pulled up just moments later and picked us up. It turns out my friend hadn't brought her phone either, but this woman had hers and knew the numbers we had to call. We debated going to the hospital but decided to give it some time, and it turns out this woman was going to the same mall we were. We weren't even that much of an inconvenience! We went ahead with our plans for dinner and a movie to give ourselves some time to relax and unwind a little. Given the circumstances, the three of us are very aware of the depth of God's protection over us.

Blessed be the name of the Lord.

**Just found out Leslie's (my roommate who was also in the accident) pastor felt the need to pray for her yesterday afternoon...

1 comment:

Mr. Eding said...

I'm glad you make sure to mention my "long legs." I'm more glad I wasn't put in a situation where my legs, however long, could have been seriously injured. Even more glad that you all made it through said situation miraculously mostly unscathed.