Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Guatemala Semana Santa

Hi guys!!!

As you may or may not know, for Semana Santa (Holy Week) some friends and I went to Guatemala. It was absolutely fantastic: rich in culture, vibrant colors, and, let's say...a diversity of experiences. :o)

We took a bus from Tegucigalpa to San Salvador, El Salvador, then took a second from there to Guatemala City. We stayed the night at a hostel (Quetzalroo, owned by a Guatemalan and an Aussie couple), and the next day took off (by chicken bus) for Panajachel. Panajachel has an ENORMOUS lake surrounded by volcanoes, and the community has a very islandy/hippie feel to it. It was, by far, my favorite part of the trip. We took a boat to see other little towns across the lake, too. After a few days we headed over to Antigua for the sawdust carpets and Easter processionals. All gorgeous, but also crowded. Somewhere in the midst of the week we also went salsa dancing, I got left on a chicken bus by myself for a terrifying 5-10 minutes, and I developed a deep love for the national bird of Guatemala, the quetzal. (Quetzals symbolize freedom because they can't survive domestication.)

I put my pictures together in an album on facebook, which you can access here (even if you don't have a facebook account):

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2038178&id=65800756&l=3cf7cd822b

In closing, here is a quetzal for your enjoyment:

1 comment:

Emilie said...

I am going to Guatemala soon and was doing some reaserch. Your post came up in the search. Just wanted to say that your trip there sounded fun!