Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Church and Firedancing

At the risk of contrasting two oddly symbolic events...

A couple weeks ago we had a four-day weekend (our spring break had a few days cut out because of our unexpected days off). Lots of people traveled, and I ended up sticking around Tegus. It turned out to be an incredibly relaxing weekend, which was just what I needed. We spent a day hanging out at a hotel's pool on a gorgeous, 90 degree afternoon. Swimming, reading, napping...oh, it was luxurious.





We also checked out the Basilica de Suyapa, which was beautiful. We actually sneaked out onto a ledge overlooking the city. Then we were told not to. (Oops.)










The second event happened just last Friday night. I went to street kid soccer, which is an outreach for homeless boys addicted to glue. I don't play because, honestly, I'm terrified of getting bulldozed. But I sit on the bleachers with some others and talk with Hondurans and gringos. I really enjoyed my conversations that night. Afterwords, some of us went to the farmer's market downtown. There was incredible, rich homemade food being sold at stands, and absolute mountains of produce. Cucumbers and peppers and tomatos and mangos and avocados and...I can't even describe it. Everything so fresh! Later that night, a couple friends and I stumbled upon some fire dancers. Unfortunately, there are more pictures that won't upload right now. But here's the best one:



*Lots of these pictures are thanks to my roommate :o)

No comments: